1903 Spyker 60
Jacobus and Hendrik-Jan Spijker develops the First four-wheel drive system
Spyker or Spijker was a Dutch carriage, automobile and aircraft manufacturer, started in 1880 by blacksmiths Jacobus and Hendrik-Jan Spijker. Originally located in Hilversum, the company relocated to Trompenburg, Amsterdam in 1898.
In 1903, the Spyker 60 HP race-car was the world’s first F4 layout, four-wheel drive car, featuring the first application of a six-cylinder engine, as well as the first four-wheel braking system.