So easy a Jeeper Figured it out.
What is Wheel Offset and Backspace?
Wheel offset and backspacing two different ways of looking at same thing.
Determines the location of the wheel and tire assembly when bolted onto the wheel hub.
They determine how far in or out the wheel and tire sit.
Why is it important to have the correct offset/Backspace?
So, the wheel or tire don’t rub on Fenders, Frame or suspension parts
How is Offset Measured?
Offset is the distance between the mounting surface and the wheel center, measured in millimeters
- Positive Offset the wheel sits in and closer to the suspension components
- Negative Offset the wheel sits out and farther from the suspension components
- Wheel offset is typically stamped into the back
of the wheel.
- Usually located next to the letters “ET”
How is Backspace Measured?
Distance from the back of the wheel to the wheel mounting surface measured in inches.
- Higher Backspace the wheel sits in and closer to the suspension components
- Lower the backspace the wheel sits out and farther from the suspension components